Comedy Wildlife People Choice Award, Overall Winner 2018, Mary McGowan Photographer
Get your cameras out and your lenses polished for the 2019 Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards, welcoming amateurs, professionals, young, old, and even middle-aged shutterbugs to submit your funniest wildlife images.
The Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards began in 2015 by professional photographers Paul Joynson-Hicks MBE and Tom Sullam to bring attention to the sanctity of wildlife, as well as to the wildlife photographer who brings majestic images of nature’s creatures to us. Though the underlying focus of the awards has always been the welfare of wild animals, this year the awards are giving a special push to the message of conservation, asking all who get involved to encourage three activities of their fans, family, and friends:
1. Shop Responsibly: For example, don’t purchase products in packaging that is not recyclable and stay away from products which contain palm oil, because the palm oil plantations are destroying rainforests and thus affect the global weather.
Spectrum Photo Creatures in the Air Category, 2018 : Peek-a-boo by Shane Keena
2. Conserve Water: This one is easy, and you probably know the ways you can reduce your water use. But just in case, here are a few simple ideas:
- Don’t flush the toilet EVERY time you use it.
- Turn your sink water off when you’re brushing your teeth. You only need the water to rinse your toothbrush and your mouth.
- Don’t wash clothes until you have a full load.
Under the Sea Category, 2018: Smiling Blue Shark by Tanya Houppermans
3. Become a “Wild Influencer”: Encourage everyone you know and even those you don’t to conserve, to appreciate nature, to value and support our precious resources. Be a leader; join a movement; start a movement! Use gatherings with friends and family, use social media, use your workplace to encourage others to contribute their support to conservation in whatever ways they can.
And you don’t have to enter this contest to take part in spreading the conservation message!
Spectrum Photo Junior Category, 2018: Nature’s Call by Arshdeep Singh
Who’s sponsoring this competition?
Alex Walker’s Serian is sponsoring the On the Land category.
Spectrum Photo is sponsoring the In the Air category.
Amazing Internet is sponsoring the Portfolio category.
Think Tank is sponsoring the Under the Water category, and
Affinity Photo is sponsoring the People’s Choice Award.
Amazing Internet Portfolio Award, 2018: Collection of bear studies by Valtteri Mulkahainen
Entering the photo contest is easy; the hard part is finding the shots, right?
1. Start here, fill out the form, and Comedy Wildlife will send you your very own portfolio.
2. Visit the categories of photographs being awarded; go to this link.
3. Then arrange to find your old funny wildlife photos or take new comedy photos that fit into one or more of the categories. Read the rules carefully; “Wildlife must be photographed in the wild!”
Would you like to spend a week in Kenya on a Safari? That’s first prize! See the other prizes here.
And good luck! You have until June 30, 2019 to submit your entries.